How to Expand the Storage of Steam Deck
Looking to play more games on your Steam Deck without worrying about storage issues? Fortunately, expanding the storage of your Steam Deck is quite simple with the help of a MicroSD card. The Steam Deck comes with storage options ranging from 64GB to 512GB, and while this may be enough for most people, some large games can fill up the storage space quickly. In this article, we will guide you through the process of installing and setting up a MicroSD card on your Steam Deck to keep playing games without any storage issues.
How to Increase the Storage of Steam Deck
If you need more space on your Steam Deck, you can expand it by following the steps below:
- Purchase a MicroSD card: The Steam Deck has a MicroSD card slot that supports MicroSD, MicroSDHC, and MicroSDXC cards. You can buy a card with a capacity of up to 2 TB.
- Insert the MicroSD card: Locate the MicroSD card slot on the Steam Deck, which is located on the bottom right of the device. Slide the card into the slot until it clicks into place.
- Format the MicroSD card: Once you have inserted the MicroSD card, press the Steam button > Go to Settings > Go to System > Format SD Card. This will format your MicroSD card to be compatible with the Steam Deck.
- Move games to the MicroSD card: You can move games from the Steam Deck’s internal storage to the MicroSD card to free up storage space. To do so, go to Settings > Storage, and select the game you want to move. Press the Y key to move the selected game, and then select the MicroSD card as the destination.
The games will only be moved to the MicroSD card if the game has been fully updated. By following the above steps, you can expand the storage of your Steam Deck and enjoy more games and apps without any storage concerns.
How to Add More Storage to Steam Deck
Adding more storage to the Steam Deck will allow you to keep more games on hand in case you run out and need to download a big game in the middle of nowhere. Keeping games in separate storage also increases performance, as the main storage is not fully utilized. If you want to add more storage to your Steam Deck, follow these steps:
- Purchase a MicroSD card with a capacity of up to 2TB.
- Insert the MicroSD card into the MicroSD card slot of your Steam Deck.
- Format the MicroSD card by pressing the Steam button > Go to Settings > Go to System > Format SD Card.
- You can store any game on a MicroSD card on the Steam Deck as long as it is properly formatted after being inserted into the Steam Deck, and the size of the game is less than the total capacity of the MicroSD card.
FAQs About Steam Deck Storage Expansion
Here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about Steam Deck storage expansion:
- Will expanding the storage of Steam Deck void its warranty?
No, if you use the Steam Deck’s MicroSD card slot to expand the memory, it does not void the warranty. But if you open the Steam Deck and replace the internal SSD, the warranty may be voided.
- What is the maximum storage that we can use in Steam Deck with MicroSD cards?
You can use a MicroSD, MicroSDHC, and MicroSDXC card with a capacity of up to 2TB with the Steam Deck.
- Can I store any game in a MicroSD card on Steam Deck?
Yes, you can store any game on a MicroSD card in Steam Deck as long as it is properly formatted after being inserted into the Steam Deck, and the size of the game is less than the total capacity of the MicroSD card.
- Can Steam Deck use 1TB SD card?
No, the maximum capacity that can be used on the Steam Deck with MicroSD cards is 2 TB. Make sure to buy MicroSD cards with at least 100 Mbps read and write speeds to ensure they work correctly with the Steam Deck.
By following the simple steps outlined above, you can expand the storage capacity of your Steam Deck and enjoy more games and apps without worrying about running out of storage space.
According to https://techpp.com/2023/04/06/expand-storage-of-steam-deck/
The material in this article is written on the basis of another article.