The Steam Deck is a powerful handheld gaming device meant to compete with the Nintendo Switch. However, this versatile device is not limited to gaming. It has a built-in KDE Desktop mode running on a Linux operating system, which users can access without any additional setup. With some additional hardware, users can transform the Steam Deck into a fully functioning desktop pc, connecting it to a TV or monitor.
Here is a guide to set up your Steam Deck as a desktop PC:
Hardware Needed For Steam Deck PC:
To transform your handheld gaming device into a pc, you will need the following hardware:
* A TV/Monitor with an HDMI slot.
* The Steam Deck Dock – Valve’s official docking station for the Steam Deck. However, users can opt for an unofficial Steam Dock like the Antank 6-in-1 Steam Deck Docking Station, which is around half the price of the official version.
* HDMI 2.0 cable.
* A compatible 45W USB-C power lead.
* Keyboard and Mouse with USB connections.
Setting Up Steam Deck PC:
Once all the necessary hardware is available, follow these simple steps to set up your Steam Deck as a fully functioning pc.
* Power on the Steam Deck and switch it to Desktop mode.
* Dock the Steam Deck on the docking station and plug in the station’s USB-C power lead into the top of the handheld.
* Connect the HDMI cable from the docking station to the TV or monitor.
* Plug in the keyboard and mouse into the USB ports.
* Connect the power lead to the mains and ensure the Steam Deck is powered on.
* Select the docked-mode for better performance.
Using Your Steam Deck as A Desktop:
Once connected to the TV or monitor, Steam Deck can function as a capable desktop PC with a Linux OS. Users can install various programs and use the Steam Deck for work or schooling. Here are a few recommended programs:
* Your favorite browser, like Chrome, Firefox, etc.
* Libre Office – an open-source office program that is invaluable for users who want to use word processing and other office-based programs.
* GNU Image Manipulation Program – a free and powerful open-source tool, similar to Photoshop.
* VLC Player – a powerful media player that can handle most video files.
Finally, it’s worth noting that many games that are incompatible with the Steam Deck as a handheld device can run in Desktop Mode. Games that require a keyboard and a mouse, like grand strategy games or point-and-click adventure games, will work on the Steam Deck’s desktop.
The Steam Deck is available now from the official Steam Store. So, if you’re looking for a versatile, powerful, and mobile gaming device, the Steam Deck may be the perfect choice for you.
According to https://gamerant.com/steam-deck-turn-into-desktop-pc/
The material in this article is written on the basis of another article.